Tony Onyemaechi Elumelu is a world-renowned philanthropist, economist, and entrepreneur from Lagos, Nigeria. He currently sits as the primary chairman of the United Bank for Africa, Heirs Holdings, and the strategic investment firm called the Transnational Corporation of Nigeria. Mr. Elumelu is also the sole founder of The Tony Elumelu Foundation, a large non-profit organization that was originally created in 2010 and is based out of Lagos, Nigeria. The foundation is one of Africa’s largest, dedicating itself to social development and economic growth throughout the continent.
5 Things You Should Know About Tony Elumelu
- A Humble Beginning – Tony Onyemaechi Elumelu came from a fairly humble and modest family based in the Jos, Plateau State region of Nigeria. He was born in 1963 along with four other siblings, all of which worked and studied hard in order to rise through the ranks of society and find lasting success.
- Early Success – From the onset of Tony’s career, he stood out as a brilliant financial thinker and exceptionally hard worker. He acquired the Standard Trust Bank at a young age and was able to quickly grow it into a top 5 financial institution within Nigeria and a leading banking institution throughout all of greater Africa.
- Africapitalism – Tony is on record as being the original creator of the widely used term “Africapitalism.” The term refers to the economic philosophy throughout Africa that focuses on the private sector’s commitment to the continent’s long term social and economic prosperity. Elumelu believes that all African corporations should have a philanthropic agenda and mindset.
- 2017 Philanthropist of the Year – The highly acclaimed media company, Per Second News, named Tony Elumelu as 2017’s Philanthropist of the Year due to his unrelenting and tireless efforts at the helm of The Tony Elumelu Foundation. The foundation has given a financial jumpstart to over 3,500 blossoming African entrepreneurs since its inception.
- Stand Out Friends – Over the course of his long and storied career, Tony Elumelu has made friends with some of the most noteworthy people in the world. He has established long-standing friendships with Barack Obama, Tony Blair, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Bill Gates, Emmanuel Macron, John Kerry, Mark Zuckerberg, and many others.